I think my child needs professional help for a mental health problem. What should I do?

Youth friendly mental health services are available in many parts of Australia. For example, headspace has centres located throughout Australia staffed with people who are trained and ready to help. To see if there is one near you visit

You can also call any local hospital or mental health information service to ask about local youth friendly services. Many family doctors are trained to recognise and respond to adolescent mental health problems or can recommend a more suitable doctor.

Some young people prefer to talk online or over the phone. Kids Helpline offers phone counselling for young people up to the age of 25, call 1800 55 1800 or visit headspace also offers e-therapy at

It’s important young people feel they have some control over the type of treatment they receive so discuss what is most suitable with them.


Article is closed for comments.
Powered by Zendesk